Monday, June 25, 2012

Chicago's Navy Pier

A few weeks ago, I was in an antique store in Georgetown, KY, and found this Pepsi can.  The first thing that caught my eye was the old-time Pepsi font.  I already wanted it.  And then I noticed it was a can for Chicago's Navy Pier.  I'm from IL, so the skyline of the Pier on the can sealed the deal.

After I got home I did a little research on the can.  The Navy Pier was built in 1916 and saw decades of various uses.  It was bought in 1989 and renovated throughout the early 1990's.  In the summer of 1995, it was "reborn" with shopping, eating, a concert stage and more.  And Pepsi released this commemorative can.

The funny things is I went to Chicago for the first time in June of 1997 and spent time on the Pier.  I had no idea it was "new" again. 

So not only does this can look good sitting on my shelf, but it reminds me of my visit to Chicago fifteen years ago this month.  Whew!  Has it really been fifteen years???

No comments:

Post a Comment