Saturday, June 11, 2011

7 Up Retro, I Found You!

Last Monday, while shooting the breeze in emails with one of the sellers I've bought cans from on eBay, he mentioned he was looking for the new 7 Up Retro cans, one with the design of a disco ball and the other the design of a zebra.  The cans had become known as 7 Up Disco and 7 Up Zebra.  My curiosity had been piqued, so I did some internet research.  Sure enough, 7 Up was jumping on the retro bandwagon following the successes of Pepsi Throwback, Mountain Dew Throwback and Dr Pepper Heritage (all using real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup).  They made the big reveal on an episode of Celebrity Apprentice last month.

7 Up Disco representing the 70's
 So guess what?  I wanted them too!  Throughout the course of this week I have been in several grocery stores and convenient stores, but no 7 Up Retro could be found.  I was almost convinced that the limited edition cans just hadn't made it to the middle of the country yet.  And then today we went to my cousin Harry's house for his daughter's birthday party.

7 Up Zebra representing the 80's

We began discussing sodas and I asked if he had heard of the new 7 Up Retro designs.  He said, "Sure, they have them at Schnucks" just down the road from his house.  Guess where we stopped on the way home after the party?  Of course I had to buy them in 12-packs, but that's ok.  I have seen these cans selling for $2-5 each on eBay.  I don't know if they sold, but that's what people are charging.  I figure I'll sit on my extra cans for a while, wait till they quit selling it, and then put them on eBay.  If that doesn't work, then I'll drink them!!

Thanks again, Harry, for the lead!  By the way, these were the first soda cans I actually went on a hunt for in local stores.  Lots of disappointment in doing that, but when you do finally find what you're looking for, it's worth it!!

1 comment:

  1. I have a 7 up can with the label inside in mint condition since 1973. Interested email me at hunter19537@msn.com

    ReplyDelete