Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's Not Always "Yes"

I've posted a lot of stories about how I get cans.  But occasionally it doesn't work out so well...


This evening I went out to eat with my family at a local restaurant.  The decor around the restaurant is mostly Coca-Cola memorabilia.  There are trays, posters, little toy cars, signs, etc.  You name it, it's probably on the wall, on a shelf or in a cabinet there.  I enjoy checking out all the things that are tempting to collect.

But tonight I noticed something inside a glass case I hadn't seen before.  It looked like the top of a soda can.  So I walked over and sure enough there was a white Diet Coke can, circa 1990's, inside.  On the back was some kind of ad.  I saw the word "Tennessee" on it.  I knew I didn't have it.  And I knew I would like to have it.

So when I went to the register to pay, I told the cashier I have a soda can collection and I noticed the can in the other room.  I said I'd be willing to bring in two cans to replace that one.  He said it belonged to the manager and he'd go in the back and talk to him about it.  He came back a few minutes later and said the can had personal meaning to the guy.  Ok, so I can't win them all.

I'm afraid the manager may have thought the can was worth some money since out of the blue a collector showed up and was willing to trade two cans for it.  Oops, that may not have been the best approach.  Plus, he never came out to talk to me personally.

A couple of years ago I bought a box of cans off Craigslist and in it was about a dozen straight steel Coca-Cola cans from the 1970's that were all the same.  So I decided I would take one of those into the restaurant next week and add to his little collection.  That way he can display a real Coca-Cola can, not just some aluminum Diet Coke can!

But on the way home from the restaurant, someone texted me a pic of this Monster Mad Dog can I don't have yet.  So I guess this story ends with me getting a new can anyway.  Haha


No comments:

Post a Comment