Sunday, May 15, 2011

Holy Moly! Where Did You Get That Can?

I was at the park a few weeks ago with the kids and I found a Diet Coke can I didn't have.  It was the normal silver can but it showed a guy holding a large white flag with a red heart on it.  The only problem was the can was dented up pretty good.  But my view on damaged cans is it's better to have a damaged can of a new design than not have the design at all.  Plus, I have replaced many damaged cans later with cans in better condition.  So I'm always watching for "upgrades" in addition to new cans.

So this morning in Sunday School I noticed an elderly woman drinking from a can of Diet Coke.  I turned on my Eagle Eye and waited for the can to turn its other side to me so I could see exactly which design it was.  Finally she set it down and I could see the man holding the big white flag with a red heart on it... an undented specimen!  I continued to monitor the woman's progress on the soda out of the corner of my eye throughout the class.  At the end of the class, I stalled by talking to a couple of people, waiting to see what would become of the can.  And then I saw her throw it away in a nearby trash can.  That can was as good as mine.

*COUGH*    *COUGH*
"I need a drink of water," I whispered to my wife during the church service about forty-five minutes later.  So I strolled down to the basement, scouting the area for unknowing passersby, and took a drink from the fountain.  No one was around.  I bolted to the trash can, reached in and pulled out today's treasure.  I took it to the nearby kitchen and washed it real good, then made a quick dash to the van parked outside.

"Ah, I feel better now," I whispered to my wife as I sat back down in the pew.  She smiled and I smiled back, knowing I had just scored a nice upgrade!

No comments:

Post a Comment