Sunday, July 25, 2021

Non-Alcoholic Root Beer

The family finally made it to Holiday World last week.  We have been talking about taking that trip for years, so a few weeks ago I buckled down and made the reservations and declared, "We're going!"  

Holiday World is a theme park located in Santa Claus, Indiana.  And if you go there, ride The Voyage!!  Hands down, it's the best wooden roller coaster I've ridden.

Also in Santa Claus, Indiana, is a must-visit candy store not far from Holiday World called Santa's Candy Castle.

Not only will you find every kind of candy you've ever eaten, but you'll also find candies you never knew existed.

At one point I saw Dad's root beer flavored jelly beans in a plastic replica of a soda can.  I made a mental note to grab a can before we left.  After all, the can would make a great novelty addition to my collection.

When you see room after room, shelf after shelf of hundreds of different types of candy, you forget where some of the things you find are located.  So later in our visit I decided to take a picture of the shelf of "Dad's root beer jelly beans."  My powers of observation were lacking that day...

We continued to shop, adding more and more candy to our basket.  We finally reached the end of the castle and checked out.  We left through the castle's exit and returned to the car.  As the kids looked through the candy treasures we found, I grabbed the "Dad's root beer jelly bean" can to admire my purchase.


And that's when I noticed the words "Alcohol Free" on the back of the label.  Why would root beer have alcohol in it?  (btw, I like the jelly bean shaped barcode)


And that's when I took a closer look at the front of the label.  I had grabbed a can of "Draft beer" jelly beans, not "Dad's root beer."  My mistake sure cracked the kids up, but the thought of beer flavored candy about made me gag.

To look on the bright side of the situation, I still ended up with a can for my collection but this one even has a good story with it!  And the kids can now see what beer tastes like without having to drink it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment