Sunday, May 5, 2019

Michigan Coca-Cola

It was time to hit the road for a sweep of local flea markets and antique stores yesterday.  I don't only look for soda cans, I also look for books and board/card games and a few other things. 

The first thing I found was a set of Coca-Cola salt and pepper shakers.  Only about 2" high, their $12 price tag was a bit much for me.


At the same shop I saw a shelf full of cans... beer cans.


Except for one soda can near the upper right corner in the picture.  It was a Coca-Cola can.  And it didn't look like one I had. 


It's made of aluminum and the bottom is different than aluminum cans now.  So this must have been an earlier aluminum can design (around 1979 according to a CanMuseum.com entry). 

But what I haven't figured out yet is the "Michigan" printed around the top of the can.


I'm not sure if it was an entire 50-state set or a special can because it was canned in Detroit or if it was ad-related (although there's nothing else ad-related on the can) or sports related.

There was enough mystery to justify the discounted price from $5 to $2.50.  Now it's been cleaned up and given a new home... in a box in my basement.

1 comment:

  1. I think the "Michigan" rim is for the deposit. I know at some states at that time there was no deposit or the amount varied per state.

    ReplyDelete