Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Can I Almost Had

I haven't bought any cans on eBay for a while.  That's because I quit looking for cans on eBay.  I realized every time I looked, I found something and spent money.  So I decided to take a break from it... until last week when I decided to look again.  And guess what.  I found a can I wanted.  

I'm a fan of Shasta cans and I'm not sure why.  But I've got over 100 different ones.  So when I saw this tonic mix I knew I had to have it.  Not only do I not have a tonic mix can at all in my collection, this was an old steel can with a funky color palette.  It was also in great condition.  

But the clincher on the deal was the weird opening mechanism.  I don't have anything quite like it.  The listing said it was a prototype Stay Tab test lid.  So I placed my bid and waited.

The auction ended and I won.  Yay.  I knew this can would make a good blog post.  But then I got a real apologetic message a couple of days later that the seller had sold the can in a previous listing and accidentally re-listed it.  I got my money back, that wasn't an issue.  But then I had a decision... raise a stink or move on?

Everyone makes mistakes.  This person had almost 16,000 transactions and a score of 99.3%.  I agreed to cancel the transaction and replied that mistakes happen.  I was a bit disappointed, but you have to take the disappointments with the victories when collecting.

What I really lost was an opportunity to blog about a cool can.  Or did I?


No comments:

Post a Comment