Monday, December 10, 2012

The Brand of the Can

So, why do I have three cans of the same design in my collection?  Pull up a chair and I'll tell you.


When I'm out in the "field" and come across a can I think I already have, I bring it home anyway because I like cans with even the slightest variation.  The above picture is a good example of three can variations of the same design.  But this time the variation has nothing to do with the design of the can but the can itself.

There are three major can manufacturers; Ball, Crown and Rexam.  There are others but these are the Big Three that I've noticed.  You can see the difference in the three pics below:

 

You can also see a difference in the coloring among the three manufacturers.  Look at the color of the footballs in the first picture in this post.

What I haven't been able to find out yet is what determines which can manufacturer a soda manufacturer uses.  I thought maybe the region of the country determines which brand of can is used.  But I found the above three cans within a two-hour radius of my hometown here in the Midwest.

Please leave a comment if you know why the same soda company uses different can manufacturers.  Or if you're a real can geek, what's your favorite can manufacturer?  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment