Thursday, April 14, 2011

Combat Cooler

I have had this can of Combat Cooler lemon drink since the early 90's.  It was given to me by a friend in the National Guard for my meager can collection at the time.  Unfortunately, all of my other cans from that time have either been thrown away or lost, this is the only one that has survived.  In fact, until today, the can was still full.  I have adopted the practice of emptying all of my cans to prevent any kind of leakage in the future that could cause problems during storage or while on display.

For all these years, I thought it was just a novelty item sold at the PX.  But now I have done some research online to see what the story is behind this drink.  Although information is scarce, I was able to find out a little bit about it.  A 1991 New York magazine article mentions Combat Cooler Corporation was releasing carbonated electrolyte replacers in the form of orange and lemon-lime Thirst Quenchers in camouflage cans.  Bingo!  So this was an actual brand of soft drink.  There is even a Combat Cooler commercial on YouTube.  I also found a pictures of Combat Cooler Cola and Orange.

So although it must have been a relatively obscure product, it was a real brand after all.

8 comments:

  1. I have combat cooler cans i was wondering how much that might be worth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part, aluminum cans usually sell for $.99-3.99 on eBay. There are some rare cans that would get a little more, but the vast majority of cans aren't worth much money. The trick is to find a collector that NEEDS your cans, then you might be able to get a little more $ for them. Good luck.

      Delete
    2. As a follow-up, you can try to sell on eBay or check out the forums at www.canmuseum.com or www.therustybunch.com, they both have "for sale" sections for soda cans.

      Delete
  2. You can see more information on COMBAT COOLER at www.weidmanbeverage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. I couldn't find much info out there about it. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  3. I want to buy a Combat Cooler from someone here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to buy a combat cooler from someone here on the blog, I will pay whatever amount is necessary. Please respond ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 6 combat cooler cans with pop top unopened.

      Delete