Saturday, November 7, 2020

A Positive End to an Era

My job is in the public service industry.  And back in March everyone in my building was put on furlough because due to COVID there was no longer a public to service.  The days turned into weeks, the weeks turned into months, and in September I received a call asking if I wanted to go back to work in the building... to permanently shut it down.  "Sure'', I said.  I needed a paycheck.

After two months of distributing equipment to our other locations, taking down shelving, taking apart furniture, filling multiple dumpsters with trash, making many recycling runs, etc. next Friday will be my last day there.  We will all remain on furlough so hopefully if/when the business picks back up they will call us back.  Not to our old jobs, but somewhere else within the company. 

During one of our tips to the dumpster this week, I glanced in before we started filling it and saw two lonely cans.

Yes, I hopped down into the empty container and discovered it was a can I didn't have yet in my collection.

These were Adrenaline Shoc cans, an energy drink I've never heard of.  They were both the same, so I chose the one with the least amount of dents and rescued it.

Back in what's left of my office, I took this somewhat blurry picture of the can.  I've scored many cans from work over the years.  In fact, my collection blog started at work 9.5 years and two buildings ago with this post.

It's certainly the end of an era for me.  And I'll wait as long as I can to be called back, but unemployment benefits only last so long.  

But for now, I suppose I'll have more time to dumpster dive for cans for my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment