Saturday, October 6, 2018

There's Passion In My Collection

I've posted about short road trips to Evansville, IN, before and the cans I did and didn't find.  Here is another such post.

I just got back from scouring the Evansville flea markets and antique malls and was surprised to see so many soda cans today.  I already have most of them, but there were a few I didn't have.  But at $5-$10 each, I just couldn't pay that for another Coca-Can with just a local ad on it.  Or a $10 soda can from another country.  And then I saw a can sitting on a shelf that jumped right out and said, "Buy me" and I said, "Ok!"

The can was a straight steel, pull top can of Purple Passion.  The Purple Passion I've heard of is alcoholic, but this can clearly states it's a "blended berry soda."  The best part was I had never heard of or seen this can before.  A rare find for me.

I cautiously turned the can over to see how much it was and to my surprise it was only $2.50.  SOLD!!

It's clearly from the 1970's.  I've found several sources online that list it from 1970-1975, so it was possibly one of those soda brands that stuck around for a few years and just never changed it's design.  

This picture doesn't do the can's colors justice.  In real life it's bright and vibrant, almost like something Jimi Hendrix would have requested backstage at his concerts.  Along the seam it says "By Canada Dry Corporation," so it was a specialty flavor of that brand.

The passion for collecting really returned today when I saw this can.  It's the first one I've bought in a while, but I'm sure it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment