Saturday, July 21, 2018

Sierra Mist with a Twist

Maybe I've been under a rock.  Maybe I've had blinders on.  Maybe I just don't pay as much attention to soda as I could should.

Last week a co-worker brought a funky green can to my office.  The design looked like something from the Brady Bunch Hour back in 1976-77.  I noticed a small yellow lemon that said TWST.  Hmm, some new hipster beverage?  Then I saw it said Mist TWST.  A quick check with Google and I had all the answers.

PepsiCo's Sierra Mist came on the soda scene in 1999 and used high fructose corn syrup until 2010.  Then it became Sierra Mist Natural when they replaced the HFCS with sucrose, aka table sugar.  

In 2016, they reverted to the high fructose corn syrup and changed the name to Mist Twst.  And that's the can I was given.

But in breaking news, just this month they are returning to the 2010 formula using real sugar.  And they are changing the name once again to... Sierra Mist.



My head hurts.



7/27/18 UPDATE

Earlier this week someone from church dropped off a bag of cans for me to recycle.  I always check to see if there are any I need for my collection and what did I discover?  A Diet Mist TWST, just days after I wrote this post about the brand I'd never heard of.



No comments:

Post a Comment