Saturday, June 20, 2015

Upside Down

I've spent the last couple of days out of town at a conference.  During my free morning yesterday, a couple of us checked out some local antique/junk shops.  I wasn't expecting to find any cans... and that's when I found one.


Tucked away on a shelf in the corner was this lonely straight steel Dr Pepper can.  I already have similar cans, maybe even this exact one I thought, until I noticed the top of it was smooth.  I picked up the $4 can and that's when I saw the label was upside down.  


I know these aren't super rare or really worth much more (if any more) than a normal can.  After all, it's just a mistake.  But it's the first one for my collection!  

The guy at the counter asked if I was a Dr Pepper collector.  I told him no, I collect soda cans of all brands.  He told me he had a couple of old paper Dr Pepper hats worn in a soda shop years ago.  Tempting as it was (haha), one treasure per day is enough!!


July 11, 2015, Update:
A collector of Dr Pepper cans has helped me immensely in the last few years by offering his extras when he needed to make room.  I've bought various Dr Pepper and DP clone cans and offered them for his collection, but he has always had them already.  But when I sent the pic of the above upside-down can he said he did not have one of those yet.  I was finally able to contribute to his collection.  In return, I received a few more of his extras in the mail today.  It's all about the trading...


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I thought it was a pretty neat find too.

      Delete
  2. Back in the 1970 I had .25 and went to the little store down the road and found an upside down Dr.Pepper can. Still have it. I put a hole in the bottom to get my pop so tab still on it. 50+ years later.

    ReplyDelete